When writing a cause and effect essay, think about two connected events where one event leads to another. You can choose to write about a specific event causing or leading to various effects or one effect having several causes. Therefore, there will be several paragraphs addressing certain aspects of your essay. If you chose to write about a certain cause with various effects, you will take time to introduce the cause and then after that dwell on the effects of this one particular event.
Your cause and effect essay is a very important assignment because readers will be looking to find out more about how these two events interrelate. If you look at a specific effect, the rest of your body will be about its various causes. For instance, you can look at an effect such as “failure” and outline various causes of failure. This will lead you to a wide approach to your writing.
Typical Cause and Effect Essay Topics
To get a good idea of the kind of topics to pick for a cause and effect essay, here are typical examples:
- The impact of technology on learning
- The effect of population growth on natural resources
- The development of mobile phones and their impact on business
- A Look at the various causes of failure among students
- Causes of Obesity in Children
- The effects caused by improper planning
- Impact of growing in an environment of fear and insecurities
- The consequences of careless living
- Drug addiction and its causes
- Teenage pregnancy causes and how to curb them
Guide for Cause and Effect Topic Choice
As you prepare to write a cause and effect essay, remember to look at the options and pick a subject that you are thoroughly knowledgeable in. Here is what you need to do:
- Research in your area of interest. You will have an easy time writing your essay from a well-informed point of view. Therefore, make sure you take the time to study more about your area of interest. This will set you on a good platform of doing much more in the cause of your writing.
- Pick your approach and topic. Decide on the approach you are going to take. You can pick a cause with effects or an effect with various causes. Once you are decided on this, you can create your topic.
- Prepare an outline. List several items to capture in your essay. This is important as it will help you coherently write your essay. Again, you will be able to include all parts of your essay without leaving important points.
A cause and effect essay will only be great if you take the time to understand the type of writing required. It’s simple, but you have to take time to understand certain aspects of writing a cause and effect essay as outlined here. The two approaches must be well understood to bring out the causes and effects associated with the choice of the topic you have picked.