A good writer is one who takes the time to analyze their assignment and break it down into smaller parts for writing. This is very useful and must be followed even in writing a compare and contrast essay. It will be wrong for any writer to start contrasting and comparing things right from the start without doing an introduction for the same. Don’t rush to the main objective of the essay. Instead, communicate the topic of your essay and inform your readers of what you are about to discuss.
Compare and contrast essays are written to give similarities and differences between two somewhat close things. In most cases, these essays tackle subjects that are often confused with each other or are used synonymously to refer to the same thing. This is an opportunity for writers to show their prowess in understanding items or topics by bringing out the differences and similarities in them.
How to Write a compare and contrast essay effectively
When given the opportunity to write this type of essay, make sure you understand the requirements for it. This will help you write the work successfully and capture the most important details to make your essay the best. Here are important guidelines:
- Introduce your topic. Every topic has to be introduced. Talk about why the topic is of interest and why you think it is important to do a comparison and contrast of the same. This information will guide your reader through from the start to the end of your writing.
- Talk about the similarities. Choose where to begin. A comparison would be a good place to start. The reason why many people confuse the things under discussion is mainly because of these similarities that make them fail to notice some differences. Therefore, it would help to show how the two items relate before doing a contrast.
- Highlight the Contrasts. Analyze the differences between your chosen sides or items of discussion. Make sure that the reader sees tangible evidence of differences between your items. It will be important to demystify everything so that your readers can understand the contrasts with ease because they are things they have probably struggled to understand in the past.
- Summarize your Views. Take a closer look at the points you have highlighted and provide a summary. Capture the key ideas and concepts of your writing and summarize them for your audience. What were your key highlights for the essay and why? State the reasons.
- Conclude. Re-state the two items of interest and the main objective of your essay. Make sure that the reader can easily see that the objectives of writing the essay were met. They should see the similarities and differences clearly.
When writing a compare and contrast essay, it is always important to have a proper plan of how you will execute your assignment. The information contained in a compare and contrast essay should make things clear for your reader to notice the differences and similarities of your essay topic.